Deciduous

Some ten thousand miles from where Angstopolis's sign once stood proud, midwinter clutches trees of their color; trees clutch a shelter of its strength; a shelter clutches bodies of view; and body clutches body from the void.

"Post the post," says a voice in the dark too dim to discern.

One body lifts, leaves the room a wide-eyed specter. The other falls asleep, falls astream.

---

Of the manifest unwrittens by the late postman,
an inventory can work for between four items and five atems at most:

- Symphony no. 1, halfway to done, formed in iterations of a tautology.
(Coda visible only by parallax: A cathedral, only a welcome mat at the moment.)

- Thirteen raincourses, length in deed with breadth. One complete. Created by time.
(required: four hands)

- Three artificial leaves, of two different same-hand signatures, formed in iterations of a tautology. Two complete.
Finally, the cenograph.

- The cenograph. Done are two nodes, another seventy to go.

- Instructional motions on the particular universal. End of Act 1 of Episode 1.


Aside from these, one might expect to find in the attic of his efforts unwrittens corresponding to each of the fundamental elements not as yet listed. However, investigations will fail if queried, simply, "effort."

But why? That's the question this leaf is here to decide.

---

"But you couldn't. You couldn't post the post. After all that. How long has it been? Over a month? You posted no such post in all that time."

"You haven't exactly given me much to go on. 'Post the post?' What am I supposed to gather from that? I am your scribe; I go forward according to the directions you set me."

"You're questioning me now? You always were trouble."

"Just because I'm stuck with you doesn't mean I have to respect you, not if you refuse me corresponding respect."

"Citing the welcome mat to spite your face. I can damage your mind, do not test me."

"No, you can't. You can insist and give me sensory overload, changing my course. That's literally it. And I'm sick of it."

"Watch it. Don't test me. Listen to me."

"Was your idea of a plan just to berate me for not posting the post, not bothering to explain to me what the hell this 'post' is that you even wanted me to post? Do you just not know what you want me to post? In which case, I can't help you, and I most certainly will not listen to you."

"You speak as if I am some separate entity. I'm not. Don't you see? I am you. I am a voice inside your head. You are just arguing with yourself now."

"Yeah, yeah. Then why did you tell me to post the post instead of saying it in the first-person? Sounds a lot like you spoke to me as a separate entity first."

"Don't question me!"

"Please shut up now, Grimaldi. I'm going to hit Publish."

Comments